Fire Department History

The 1st fire station built in Ocoee opened in 1957 and was located on W. McKey Street. The fire department consisted of local volunteers with "Frog" Vandergrift as Fire Chief. The 1st fire engine was built by Harold Maguire, a local resident. The engine was an open cab with a front bumper- mounted pump on a Chevrolet chassis. The unit remained in service until 1960 when the 1st commercial fire engine was purchased.

1st Full Time Crew

In 1971, the department hired the 1st full time paid firefighters. Three firefighters worked days with the volunteers responding to alarms at night and on weekends.

New Stations

In 1975 the department moved into a new station located at the following address:
125 N. Bluford Ave.
Ocoee, FL 34761

Now the current site of the City Hall complex. Three 24-hour shifts were instituted with 5 firefighters staffed per shift. As the city grew, new stations and personnel were added to provide the increased need for fire protection. In 1986 fire station 2 opened on Adair St. in the north central district. Two additional firefighters were added per shift to staff the additional station. In 1997, 2 additional stations were built.

Fire Station #26

1500 N. Clarke Road
Ocoee, FL 34761

Station 2 on Adair St. was closed at this time and relocated to the Clarke Road location. The 3rd station was built at the following address:

Fire Station #39

2500 S. Maguire Road
Ocoee, FL 34761

A third station was built to cover the developing district south of State Road 50. Both new stations were opened in January of 1998, bringing the total staff to 14 firefighters per shift.

In 2004, Fire Station 25 was relocated from the City Hall complex to the newly built 19,000 square foot main fire station.

Fire Station #25

563 S. Bluford
Ocoee, FL 34761

The new station houses operating fire personnel as well as the administrative staff.

Cost Savings

In 2013, at a time when the economy was strained, the Ocoee Fire Department went outside the box of traditional Fire Stations and in a very cost savings move opened Fire Rescue Station 38 in a leased storefront in the Fountains West Shopping Plaza on West Road. That strategic move greatly reduced the response times in the northwestern areas of the city.

New Chief

Fire Chief Ronald D. Strosnider retired October 1, 2004 after serving 47 years with the department, 24 years of which he served as Fire Chief.
Fire Chief Richard Firstner was the Fire Chief from October 2004 until his retirement in December 2009.
Fire Chief Pete McNeil was the Fire Chief from December 2009 until his retirement in January 2014.
Interim Fire Chief Tim Hoover from January 2014 to March 2015
Fire Chief John Miller March 2015 to current